HVAC replacement and installation of a new heating or cooling unit is a significant investment in your personal comfort. When done correctly, it can also add value to your home and may even help you save money on energy bills for years to come. Today, we’ll walk you through what you need to consider along the way, from answering the repair vs. replace question to selecting the best HVAC system and contractor to do the job.
Decide Which Is the Best Option: HVAC Replacement or Repair?
Before you take the step of replacing your entire system, you need to decide if repair of your current system is still an option. The repair vs. replace dilemma can be challenging for some homeowners, but these tips can help.
You might want to replace your HVAC system if:
- It is more than 10 years old.
- Repairs are costing too much money or are required too frequently.
- A newer system offers a significant change in efficiency (which can save you money on utility bills).
You may want to repair your HVAC system if:
- It is less than 10 years old and still covered under a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Repairs are inexpensive compared to replacing the entire system.
- You anticipate moving soon and your current system still works.
If you decide that HVAC repair is best, simply call your local HVAC company to get on their schedule. You can also see if they offer an HVAC maintenance plan to keep your system running smoothly.
If HVAC replacement is in your best interest, it’s time to find out what system will best meet your needs.
Select the Best HVAC System For Your Household’s Needs
You may be choosing to replace your HVAC system simply because your old system doesn’t meet today’s high efficiency standards. Just make sure that the new system you choose DOES.
For cooling systems, pay attention to the SEER rating, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the system will be. For heating systems, evaluate the HSPF, or Heating Season Performance Factor. Again, the higher the rating, the higher the system’s efficiency will be. Although HVAC systems with higher ratings typically come with a higher price tag, they can offer significant savings with the potential of lower energy bills over time.
Other factors that may impact which HVAC system you choose include:
- The climate where you live
- How big your house is
- Your household budget
- Financing or HVAC discounts and promotions offered by your local HVAC company
- Tax incentives from state or local governments for new and efficient HVAC installations
Now that you have a better idea of what system to get, it’s time to move on to the next step.
Get Multiple Quotes For HVAC Replacement and Installation
Just like any other appliance purchase, choosing a new HVAC system is a significant investment in your home. When you plan ahead for HVAC replacement, instead of waiting until your system completely fails, you’ll have time to do some homework and shop around.
Get several quotes to find out exactly how much your new system will cost. A good estimate will include everything you need and clearly state what’s included. You also need to know what’s NOT included. Many HVAC contractors don’t include things like drywall repairs, replacing damaged ductwork, or removal of your old system. If they ARE included, make sure the price for these items is clear so you can accurately compare estimates.
Choose the Best HVAC Contractor In Your Local Area
At this point in the process, you’ve decided that HVAC replacement is better than repairing your current system. You also know which system is best for your home and have some quotes from local HVAC companies. Now, it’s time to decide who will do the job.
Believe it or not, selecting the right HVAC contractor can make a huge difference in your ultimate satisfaction with HVAC replacement and installation. Here are a few things to look for to help you make the right choice:
- Licensing and Experience – When it’s time to get a new HVAC system, it’s not just price that matters. You want to hire a licensed HVAC contractor that also has the right training. Look for NATE-certified technicians, the HVAC industry’s gold standard for technician training and certification.
- Referrals and Reviews – What do other customers say about the HVAC company you want to hire? Are they reliable and affordable? Do they provide excellent customer service and install high quality products? Look for an HVAC contractor that has great reviews. Even better, check out a company that’s personally recommended by someone you’re close to, such as a friend or neighbor.
- Home Evaluation and Estimates – Don’t work with a contractor that gives you a quote with the site unseen. A reputable HVAC company will evaluate your home and provide heating and cooling recommendations based on what they see. They’ll also give you a detailed estimate so you know exactly what you’re getting for the price given. Remember to always compare ‘apples to apples’ when it comes to HVAC estimates – the cheapest option is not always best and may not include everything you need.
Prepare Your Home For HVAC Replacement and Installation
Prior to your scheduled HVAC replacement date, ask your contractor how long the job is anticipated to take. This will help you plan accordingly and minimize disruptions to your everyday activities. While many AC or heating system replacements can be done in one day, things like damaged ductwork or other unforeseen circumstances could alter the completion schedule.
If you have pets, you may want to keep them outside or schedule a visit to pet daycare while the work is being completed. Heavy furniture that’s near the work area but can’t be moved should be covered with plastic or cloth to protect from dust. And, smaller items or valuables should be moved to a safe, out-of-the-way location.
Once your new system is installed, your HVAC contractor will test it to ensure that it’s working properly. Your household will return to normal and you’ll be wondering why you didn’t schedule HVAC replacement sooner!
Expert HVAC Repair and Replacement In Queen Creek, AZ
Although based in Queen Creek, Team AIR-zona is proud to provide exceptional HVAC services to surrounding areas including Tempe, Sun Lakes, Gilbert, Phoenix, Scottsdale, and more. From AC repairs and maintenance to complete HVAC replacement and indoor air quality products, we have you covered!
As the first and only Bryant Medal of Excellence winner in Arizona, you can rest assured that we’ll give you top notch service while recommending only the highest quality products that can help your home be comfortable all year long. Simply contact us today and our HVAC experts will be happy to discuss your specific HVAC system needs.