“Should I repair or replace my HVAC system?” This is one of the most common HVAC questions we hear and a question that every homeowner will have to consider at one point or another.
No two situations are alike and there are several things that will factor into your decision. Repair is not always cheaper than replacement! We have some general points that will hopefully make your decision easier.
When to replace your HVAC system
- Repeated Repairs- If your heating and cooling system has needed repairs more than twice a year, it may be time to shop. The money you spend in repairs to an older system may be better used towards the purchase of a newer, energy-efficient HVAC system.
- Age of System- Age matters when it comes to HVAC systems. If your A/C unit is older than 10 years and/or your furnace is older than 15 years, it’s time to consider a replacement. Newer systems with high efficiency can save you over 20% on your utility bill and may be subject to tax credits from the federal government.
- Safety- If your system presents a safety issue, such as carbon monoxide poisoning or being a fire hazard, replacement is the only choice.
When to repair your HVAC system
- Age of System- If your system is under 10 years old, it’s often wise to repair it.
- Moving- We recommend checking with your realtor if you are moving soon. Repairs may be the better option.
- Warranty- Manufacturers usually cover the first 10 years of your new heating or cooling system.
- Maintain- Regular HVAC maintenance may help prolong the unit’s life so that immediate replacement is not necessary.
One other rule we like to use is the $5,000 rule. Multiply the age of your system by the repair cost. If the resulting number exceeds $5,000, it’s time to replace the HVAC system in question.
We can help you decide whether to repair or replace your HVAC system!
If you are still unsure, the experts at Team AIR-zona will be happy to help! Team AIR-zona is your full-service HVAC contractor providing air conditioning and heating systems. Moreover, we aid in maintaining your current system. Keeping you in comfort is our priority, meaning we are quick to schedule service and we do the job right the first time.