The HVAC industry continues to evolve with changes and improvements in HVAC technology and design. For example, what was once never considered can now be easily achieved thanks to a wide variety of HVAC systems and designs. Today, let’s take a look at why some homeowners are considering the installation of an attic furnace vs. one located in the basement or other room in the house.
Why Are We Talking About Your Heating System Now?
This is a great question! After all, it’s still spring and the hot temperatures of an Arizona summer are right around the corner. Who is thinking about the heat now?
Well, you may not be thinking about heating your home but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be! With over two decades of HVAC industry experience, we’ve learned that with anything HVAC-related, it’s best to plan ahead.
That means scheduling AC repairs and maintenance before the heat of the summer comes and your air conditioner is working overtime. That also means thinking about your heating system when it’s not in use – what better time to repair or replace it than when it’s not needed and you won’t miss it while it’s being worked on? Thinking about your furnace now also means that if you do choose to install an attic furnace, it can be done before the extreme heat of summer arrives or you can plan ahead for a fall installation.
Advantages and Disadvantages of an Attic Furnace
Now, let’s take a look at a few reasons why you would or would not choose to install an attic furnace in your home.
Pros of an attic furnace:
- Simple installation – While older furnaces are often vertical, today’s modern furnace design allows for multiple options. You can have a vertical or horizontal furnace with the ultimate choice being based on the space available. A horizontal furnace often fits easily on a wall or on the attic rafters.
- Less ductwork – As long as your home doesn’t have a concrete or slab roof, installing an attic furnace typically requires less ductwork for outside venting vs. a furnace installed in a basement or lower room. Less ductwork often corresponds to less money out of pocket for you in terms of installation cost.
- Free up space – When you have a furnace installed in the basement, closet, or utility room, it often takes up valuable space that could be used for something else. Most homeowners find, however, that attic space is unused and therefore wasted. An attic furnace could help you make better use of your space and maximize your home’s square footage.
- Reduced flood risk – Anyone who’s lived through Arizona’s monsoon season knows how a large amount of rain can fall in a short amount of time. While this often leads to driving perils, it can also lead to water damage and flooding of homes. Furnaces installed at or below ground level are right in the potential path of water flow. In contrast, an attic furnace is less likely to be damaged by flooding.
Cons of an attic furnace:
- Reduced efficiency – You probably learned at an early age that heat rises. That’s one reason why furnaces have traditionally been installed in basements or lower rooms – the heat naturally rises and warms the air above it. With an attic furnace, however, heat must be forced downward, requiring more energy and lowering efficiency.
- Maintenance warnings go unnoticed – Hopefully, you’ve never heard a strange sound or smelled an odd odor coming from your furnace. If you have, however, it likely caused you to call your local HVAC experts as soon as possible. Noticing warning signs such as these can be more difficult with an attic furnace since it’s out of sight and out of mind.
HVAC Repairs and Maintenance From the East Valley HVAC Experts
Regardless of where you choose to have your furnace installed, routine maintenance is absolutely critical for protecting your investment and helping it to last as long as possible. That’s exactly why we offer an HVAC Maintenance Plan here at Team AIR-zona. Maintenance plan members enjoy HVAC tune-ups twice a year, priority scheduling, discounts on repairs, and more. It’s the best solution for convenient, worry-free, and affordable HVAC maintenance!
Whether you need a new AC system, repairs to your furnace, or anything else HVAC-related, Team AIR-zona is YOUR source for HVAC repairs and maintenance in the East Valley. Contact us today to learn more about the HVAC services we provide to home and business owners throughout the Phoenix area!