Concern about heat pump shortages and an overall reduced supply of new A/C units and air conditioner parts continues to be common as summertime temperatures soar around the country. What exactly is causing the shortage if demand is so high? Let’s take a closer look …
Why Is the HVAC Industry Facing Heat Pump Shortages?
Just like other areas of the economy, HVAC contractors, technicians, and manufacturers were significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Although COVID-19 is no longer crippling the nation like it did in 2020 and parts of 2021, there’s an ongoing trickle down effect that hasn’t gone away.
Here are some of the biggest factors causing heat pump shortages as well as other reductions in parts and/or services:
- COVID-19: Although overall cases have significantly declined since the height of the pandemic, COVID-19 continues to play a role in the workplace. Manufacturers, including those who make heat pumps and A/C parts, still face a reduced workforce due to sick employees or those who can’t work because they are taking care of ill family members. Fewer employees typically translates to lower production of goods and/or services.
- Material Shortages: Raw materials such as copper, steel, aluminum, and plastic are in short supply. HVAC manufacturers must compete with other industries that use the same materials to get the supply that IS available.
- Pent-Up Demand: Some people delayed getting a new air conditioner during the height of the pandemic. While some were out of work and couldn’t afford the price tag of a new A/C, others were stymied by an A/C unit shortage. Still others decided to hold off one more year and repair their A/C vs. replacing it. Add all of those people to consumers who’ve decided to replace their A/C this year and it’s easy to see how the demand is high but production hasn’t caught up yet.
- Supply Chain Issues: We’ve all seen pictures in the news of copious amounts of container ships sitting in a harbor waiting to be unloaded. The reality is that even when production of a particular item does catch up with demand, it’s not always getting to the consumer in a timely fashion.
How to Deal With Heat Pump Shortages
If your air conditioner is blowing hot air or otherwise malfunctioning already, you may be in need of immediate A/C repairs. Our expert HVAC technicians can diagnose the problem and recommend a viable solution.
For those homeowners whose A/C units are still functioning well, these are some tips to remember so you can continue to stay cool and avoid problems associated with heat pump shortages:
- Plan ahead – If you think you’re due for a new air conditioner sooner than later, talk to our technicians Since parts or a new system may be hard to come by or take longer to arrive, it may be beneficial to order them before you’re in an emergency situation.
- Repair vs. replace – If you’re having trouble deciding whether to repair or replace your A/C, we can help. However, there are several factors to consider. For example, if you have a newer system (less than 10 years old), and the repair cost is low, it’s probably cheaper and faster to repair it vs. replace it. Repair could also be the better option if you’re planning to move soon.
- Schedule A/C maintenance – Regardless of whether your A/C system is new or old, routine maintenance is the best way to keep it working efficiently. Smaller problems can be diagnosed and fixed before they become bigger, more expensive ones. And, you can often avoid nasty surprises, such as being stuck with no air conditioning on the hottest day of the year!
HVAC Maintenance Plan – Affordable and Worry-Free!
For the ultimate peace of mind and year-round comfort, we recommend that your household sign up for our HVAC maintenance plan. With priority scheduling, regular tune-ups, additional discounts and more, our maintenance plan customers enjoy money savings, convenience, and expert HVAC service for an affordable price.
To become a maintenance plan member or to schedule an appointment for repairs or service, simply contact us today!