This summer is HOT and we need our A/C units to work properly more than ever! With our two decades plus of industry experience, we’ve definitely seen our share of HVAC mistakes. However, we understand that nobody is perfect and we all make errors from time to time. With that being said, we want to help you avoid some HVAC mistakes that could impact your comfort and your wallet.
Take Our Advice: Don’t Be Guilty of These HVAC Mistakes!
- Waiting until summer to check your A/C unit – It’s easy to put off spring HVAC maintenance if there isn’t a noticeable problem. But ignoring a maintenance inspection can lead to bigger problems! HVAC companies tend to be busiest between June and August. It’s smart to think ahead and make sure your A/C unit is in top shape before the summer heat.
- Forgetting to replace or clean the filters – Sometimes the biggest problems come by making the simplest HVAC mistakes. Your HVAC unit’s filter is responsible for keeping your unit clean. When the filter gets dirty, the system has to work harder to keep your house cool. You may notice it running more often or see an increase in your energy bills. Replacing the filter is a simple job but easy to forget!
- Closing the vents in unused rooms – This may sound silly. You may think if a room is not being used at all that you would save money by not cooling that room. The complete opposite is true! When you close off a vent, your HVAC unit has to work harder and can lead to increased pressure in your ducts. So this summer, leave the vents in all your rooms open.
- Turning your A/C unit off when leaving the house for a few hours – It’s a common misconception that you don’t have to cool your house when you’re gone for a few hours. But, this adds more stress on your unit to cool your house down when you return. Unless you are leaving for days or weeks, set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature and leave it there.
- Not using a programmable thermostat – If you are away from home for certain hours every day, you can save money by adjusting your thermostat a little. A programmable thermostat allows you to set temperatures for particular times of the day that correspond to your schedule. This will pay off in savings on your utility bill!
- Trying to hide your HVAC unit with landscaping – We get it, air conditioners aren’t beautiful. But, planting bushes too close to your unit can reduce its efficiency. If there is landscaping close, be sure to trim it back often.
- Forgetting about HVAC maintenance – We talked a little about spring maintenance. But, we recommend a maintenance inspection on your HVAC system twice a year … spring and fall. The number one HVAC mistake homeowners make is failing to maintain their HVAC unit. A maintenance inspection can help prevent minor issues from turning into major problems and saves you money!
Make HVAC Maintenance Easy By Calling the HVAC Experts
Team AIR-zona is your full-service HVAC contractor providing air conditioning and heating services. We specialize in servicing, repairing and replacing air conditioning and heating systems.
Whether you have an HVAC maintenance plan with us or not, we would be more than happy to service any make or model furnace or air conditioner you have. But, if you think saving money is for you, then check out our maintenance plan!
If you have any questions, contact our HVAC experts … we are ready and happy to help. No more HVAC mistakes for you!