When the outside air temperature creeps up to 80 degrees Fahrenheit or above, the last thing you want to encounter is air conditioner problems inside your home. Unfortunately, however, that’s exactly what does happen on occasion, especially if you haven’t kept up with routine A/C maintenance.
The good news is that there are some air conditioner problems that are quite simple to diagnose and fix. With a little background knowledge, you may just be able to get your A/C back to operating the way it should without having to call an HVAC expert. The bad news is that there are just as many (or more) air conditioner problems that do require the services of an A/C technician. That’s when it’s especially helpful to have an established relationship with a local HVAC company you trust.
Even if you do need to call the A/C experts for help, being able to recognize common air conditioner problems is important. You’ll be able to give the technician valuable information about what’s been happening with your A/C, which could even lessen the amount of time required to diagnose and fix your system.
Common Air Conditioner Problems And How to Fix Them
While there are many problems that can arise with your home’s air conditioning system, we’re going to focus on 4 of the most common ones today.
#1: Your A/C system runs non-stop.
Even during the hottest weather, your air conditioner should not run constantly. If it does, it’s time to find out why.
- Your A/C is too small for the size of your home.
- The air filter is dirty or clogged.
- Dirt and dust buildup are reducing air flow through the condenser coils.
- You have a malfunctioning thermostat.
- Talk to your local HVAC experts about the size of your system. You may need a new A/C that can properly handle your home’s square footage.
- Change the air filter.
- Clean the condenser coils – they should be cleaned annually anyway.
- Have a new thermostat installed.
#2: Your air conditioner won’t turn on.
As luck would have it, this air conditioner problem will likely hit you on the hottest day of the year! There could be an easy fix or it may be necessary to call the experts.
- A circuit breaker is tripped.
- You have a faulty thermostat.
- There’s loose wiring somewhere inside the system.
- Reset the breaker. If the circuit breaker trips repeatedly, you have a bigger problem and will need to call your local HVAC company for A/C repair.
- Schedule an appointment with an A/C expert to inspect and repair wiring or to install a new thermostat.
#3: Your air conditioner is heating instead of cooling.
If your A/C is blowing hot air, it won’t take long for your house to heat up on a hot day. Keep your cool by checking for simple causes first.
- The thermostat has been put on the wrong setting.
- The outdoor unit is crowded by landscaping or other items, resulting in poor air flow.
- Your A/C’s air filter is dirty.
- Check to make sure your thermostat is set to ‘cool’ or ‘auto’.
- Cut back shrubs and weeds around the outdoor unit to ensure proper ventilation.
- Change the air filter.
#4: Your A/C unit smells funny.
A properly functioning A/C system does not smell but when something is wrong, you may notice a burning smell or a musty odor.
- An electrical issue such as a wiring problem can create a burning smell.
- A clogged air filter makes the system work harder and can cause a burnt odor.
- Improper drainage or blocked vents can lead to mold or mildew growth.
- Request the services of an A/C expert to address wiring or electrical problems.
- Replace the air filter.
- Prevent mold in your A/C by unblocking drain tubes and/or vents.
Leave Your Air Conditioner Problems In the Hands of the HVAC Experts!
As one of the East Valley’s most trusted A/C repair and maintenance companies, we’ve helped hundreds of homeowners in Queen Creek, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert, Florence, Scottsdale, and surrounding areas with their air conditioner problems. One of the key things we’ve learned through the process is this: Routine maintenance is the KEY to keeping your HVAC system running smoothly AND helping to prevent the need for major repairs.
At Team AIR-zona, we offer our clients an HVAC Maintenance Plan that provides expert A/C service and repairs at an affordable price without all the stress and worry. From money savings and priority scheduling to simply gaining peace of mind, there’s never been an easier way to keep your HVAC system in great shape! Contact us today to learn more about our maintenance plan or to schedule A/C repairs or maintenance.