A hot new buzzword lately has been ‘essential worker’. Do you think of your HVAC company as essential? Your A/C has been working very hard to keep you cool the last few months during the summer heat. If something goes wrong with it, you’ll likely see just how essential the A/C experts are!
Helpful A/C Troubleshooting Tips
A/C issues are never enjoyable, but sometimes, the problem is not as difficult as you might think. In fact, there are a few common problems that you might even be able to fix on your own. Below are a few of the most common questions that our customers have and how you can begin to troubleshoot them. Then, you’ll learn when it’s time to call a professional for help.
QUESTION: Why won’t my A/C unit turn on?
- Check the circuit breaker or replace the fuse.
- Make sure the thermostat is set on ‘cool’.
- Check that all switches, including the external safety switch, are set to the ‘on’ position.
QUESTION: My air conditioner isn’t cooling – why not?
- Change the thermostat batteries. The thermostat may not be communicating with the A/C unit.
- Check the air vents. If the vents or ducts get clogged, the air can’t flow properly.
- Make sure the thermostat is set to the right temperature.
- Check to see if the air filter is dirty.
QUESTION: Why do I have poor air circulation in my home?
- Again, inspect the ductwork and vents for a possible blockage.
- Replace the air filter. Even if you don’t notice any issues, we recommended doing this at least once every 3 months.
- Check that the register dampers on the vents in each room are open.
When to Call a Professional For A/C Repairs
Sometimes, A/C troubleshooting isn’t enough and you simply need to ask an A/C expert for help. In fact, if you try to fix a complicated problem on your own, you could end up causing more damage or voiding your system’s warranty.
For any of the A/C issues above, don’t be afraid to call us if the troubleshooting measures described don’t fix the problem. The solution could be more advanced and require additional knowledge, tools, or skills. In addition to the issues we’ve mentioned, you should call an A/C professional if you notice loud or strange noises or if you believe your system was improperly installed. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Team AIR-zona has over 2 decades of industry experience, specializing in servicing, repairing and replacing air conditioning and heating systems. Our founders started the team with the goal of providing quality service at an affordable price. We pride ourselves on getting the job done right and on time without taking any shortcuts. No job too big or small … contact us today and we will be happy to help!